The Psychology of Cat Owners
Cat owners are usually 12% more neurotic and 11% more open to new things.
Are cat owners any different than dogs owners? Well, it turns out the answer is yes! In a recent article from Psychology Today, Psychologist Sam Gosling of the University of Texas in Austin stated, "There is a widely held cultural belief that the pet species- cat or dog- with which a person has the strongest affinity says something about the individual's personality, and this research suggests there are significant differences on major personality traits between dog people and cat people." His study went on to say that people that prefer cats are 12 percent more neurotic, but 11 percent more open than dog people. This openness usually involves a greater appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, imagination, curiosity, and variety of experience. If you are a cat owner, does this sound like you?
What You Need as a Cat Owner
Being a pet owner is one of the world's greatest joys, but there are a few responsibilities you need to take care of as well. Luckily for cat owners, cats are relatively low maintenance pets that only need a few things to feel comfortable. Pet Street Mall has a variety of such products that include:
By: Tim Snyder
- A Litter Box- It's important to remember that cats are not naturally domestic animals. When they are in the wild, cats instinctually bury their feces in an attempt to keep larger cats and predators from tracking them down. As cats have transitioned indoors, cat owners started to provide litter boxes to accommodate their needs. Litter boxes allow cats to bury their excrement and feel comfortable. Currently, there are a variety of litter box styles including self-cleaning litter boxes and boxes with covers that keep the kitty litter from spilling out.
Food and Water Dish- If you've decided to become a cat owner, it means that you have taken on the responsibility of feeding your feline and providing him with water. We offer a wide variety of food dishes that can help to accommodate you and the cat's specific needs. Some of these include:
- Automatic feeders that hold extra food and refill the dish on a set schedule
- Elevated dishes that keep your cat's food away from ants
- Filtered water dishes.
- Scratching Posts and Toys- Cats are always looking to sharpen their claws, have a little fun, and get some exercise. Providing him with a scratching post http://www.petstreetmall.com/Cat-Scratching-Posts/404.html is the perfect way to help him get this playful aggression out. Not only will a scratching post be beneficial for your cat, it will also keep your couch from getting torn apart.
Along with a scratching post, cat toys are advantageous to your cat's well-being. Cat toys provide your cat with stimulation and help him to enjoy life. We have toys that are filled with cat nip, toys for your cat to chase, and a variety of healthy toys that promote healthy and enjoyable fun.
- Carriers- If you are planning on traveling or taking your cat on a car ride to the vet, you are going to need a cat carrier. Often times, cats (especially strictly indoor cats) become frightened when they are taken out of their natural environment. Their claws will come out, and they will try to jump away. Using a carrier will help to prevent this from happening and make the entire experience much smoother. At Pet Street Mall, we have carriers for every size cat and every circumstance.
- Everything Else You Can Think of- Everything listed above is pretty essential, but the rest is up to you. Cats are pretty low maintenance pets, but you never know what else could pop up. As pet owners, it's always great to give our pets a little extra to show them our love. If you check out the side bar of our website, you're sure to come across some of our other products, each of which will help to make your cat as happy as possible.
Coren, Stanley. "Personality Differences Between Dog and Cat Owners." Psychology Today. Canine Corner, 17 Feb. 2010. Web. 18 July 2013.