5 Table Foods That You Should Avoid Feeding Your Dog
Some dog owners like to reward their dogs by giving them some delicious home cooked food. Of course, feeding a pup directly from the table is never a good idea. Instead, reward him by dropping the food in his food dish at a time after dinner. This will help to keep your dog from begging and developing other bad behaviors.
Giving your pup some good food may be an act of love, but it can also be dangerous. Because dog's bodies are dissimilar and break down food in different ways than humans, there are a number of foods that are no good and should be avoided at all times. 5 of the most dangerous and common foods are:
What in the world is Xylitol? Xylitol is just another name for the artificial sweeteners that appear in a number of everyday products including sugar free cookies and other "diet" products, gum, candy, and toothpaste. If your dog does ingest Xylitol, a reaction can be triggered in your dog that can often be fatal. This happens because Xylitol induces an insulin release in most animals, which leads to hypoglycemia.
Grapes and Raisins
It's perfectly okay to give your dog fresh apples, bananas, watermelon, and a number of other fruits, but never grapes or raisins. Scientists have had trouble pinpointing why grapes are so dangerous to dogs. However, there are endless reports of grapes causing symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, depression, kidney failure, and even loss of life.
Chocolate and Caffeine
Twix, Snickers, Coca-Cola, coffee: Wow, it all sounds so delicious. However, they should always be kept away from your dog. Chocolate and caffeine are probably the most documented and well-known of all the items on the list. Both of these are dangerous because they contain methylxanthines. For dogs, ingestion of this compound can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, panting, tremors, heart problems, and even death.
Guacamole is an unbelievably delicious topping for any chip, but they are extremely dangerous for any dog. That's because guacamole comes from avocados, which contain the chemical persin. Persin is dangerous to not only dogs, but a variety of other animal, too: horses, birds, cats, rodents, etc. Persin can lead to difficulty breathing, inflammation of the mammary glands, fluid buildup around the heart, and death.
Onions, Garlic, and Chives
This may be one of the more surprising items on the list. Today, countless recipes feature one of these items to add flavor. However, they are no good for your dog. These items have been linked to red cell damage, asthma attacks, and liver damage. If you notice that your dog is vomiting, has diarrhea, lethargy, or discolored urine, there is a chance that one of these items may have been ingested. Because this one is not as well known, it often affects dogs because dog owners love to feed home cooked meals (which often onions, garlic, and chives) from the table.
Try Dog Treats Instead
By: Tim Snyder
If you are looking to reward your dog, there are delicious alternatives that will make your dog happy. Today, dog treats come in a number of varieties and flavors (chicken, beef, etc.) that are aimed at giving a dog's taste buds exactly what is wanted. Not only do these treats satisfy dog's cravings, many of the varieties help to reduce tartar buildup and help keep teeth clean.